[Info-vax] What would you miss if DECnet got the chop? Was: "bad select 38" (OpenSSL on VMS)

Scott Dorsey kludge at panix.com
Sun Sep 18 11:17:34 EDT 2016

In article <f3uDz.569452$Nh2.92198 at fx09.ams1>, Dirk Munk  <munk at home.nl> wrote:

>My ideas about Phase IV are not just opinions. Phase IV is a dead end,
>it won't be long before you can't buy routers for Phase IV. You can't
>make Phase IV traffic secure, you can't use it in a IP-only network
>environment, you can't use it over the internet. Those are facts, not
>opinions.

This is true, however Phase V is also a dead end.

The days of worldwide DECNET over a public network are gone, gone, gone.

Anybody using DECNET today is likely tunnelling it through IP if they are
going any distance.  Better to take out some layers and use standard IP
protocols to begin with.

>I will go further then that. By sticking to DECnet Phase IV, you will
>affectively kill DECnet. If DECnet is nothing else then an IP port for
>your network people, then who cares. If it is a completely different
>network environment, it will be all the more reason to kick DECnet and
>even VMS out.

This argument was a good argument a decade ago, but it's too late now.
You are beating a dead horse.
--scott