[Info-vax] What would you miss if DECnet got the chop? Was: "bad select 38" (OpenSSL on VMS)

Alan Frisbie Usenet03_REMOVE at Flying-Disk.com
Sun Sep 18 15:30:32 EDT 2016

On 09/18/2016 12:18 AM, Paul Sture wrote:

> I'd certainly miss one or two things that DECnet does:
>
> o - the ability to do a SET HOST 0 /LOG= to get a log / audit trail of software
>      installations and configuration sessions.   Yes, many terminal emulators can
>      do logging, but those logs aren't on the target system.
>
> o - using DECnet as a means of placing BACKUP savesets on another node, and
>      restoring them from other nodes (where 'other' can be either local or
>      remote).
>
> o - DECnet tasks.  Useful but I haven't seen many customers use these.
>
> o - FAL

I would certainly miss the ability to talk to my RSX-11 systems.
They (both real physical ones and SIMH instances) may be old,
but they just sit there and work.

Alan