[Info-vax] What would you miss if DECnet got the chop? Was: "bad select 38" (OpenSSL on VMS)

Kerry Main kemain.nospam at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 12:03:57 EDT 2016

TCP/IP.

 An interesting note on this ..

I was doing large DC migration last year where the mission
critical OS was Solaris (some Windows, Linux). They had a huge
amount of batch jobs (thousands per day) using a commercial
scheduler (forget which one).

They were constantly transferring files all over the place
internally for maint, archiving, reporting and likely a host of
other reasons via sftp. The sftp pwds were maintained inside the
batch jobs. There was a number of different application support
groups so changes had to be coordinated between groups.

They had security policies in place which stated pwds needed to
change something like every 120 days. It was a horrendous mess as
they had to go into all of their batch jobs to fix passwords and
then coordinate with impacted groups on other systems.

While I am sure there must be cleaner ways to do this, there was
just so many jobs and different groups, that even today, this is
their reality using TCPIP internally.

Point being is that even if it is internal use only, the DECnet
proxy access is not something to be simply thrown away.

Regards,

Kerry Main
Kerry dot main at starkgaming dot com