[Info-vax] What would you miss if DECnet got the chop? Was: "bad select

David Froble davef at tsoft-inc.com
Mon Sep 19 14:55:49 EDT 2016

Bob Koehler wrote:
> In article <nrlmbk$if0$1 at dont-email.me>, David Froble <davef at tsoft-inc.com> writes:
>> In general I agree with what you've written.  I consider DECnet as a part of
>> VMS, and if one really doesn't want VMS, then just go and use something else.
>
>    Having used DECnet on VMS, MVS, RSX, TOPS-20, MS-DOS, Ultrix, AIX, and
>    Linux, I find your concept much too narrow for reality.

You're always so easy to get along with Bob ....

:-)

Yes, there have been implementations of the DECnet transport part on multiple
OSs, both DEC and others.  But, as far as I know, there has not been the full
range of DECnet tools available on those environments.  As an example,  does FAL
exist on all those implementations?

For me, it's the utilities, tools, and such that I feel make DECnet worth
keeping around.  Much more so than the communications stuff.  Of course, those
utilities, tools, and such do use the communications stuff.