[Info-vax] What would you miss if DECnet got the chop? Was: "bad select 38" (OpenSSL on VMS)

Michael Moroney moroney at world.std.spaamtrap.com
Mon Sep 19 15:58:51 EDT 2016

David Froble <davef at tsoft-inc.com> writes:

>Michael Moroney wrote:

>>  Since
>> then I wondered, how many customers actually use DECnet V
>> (or DECnet IV), and for what.

>Then you would know more than most how much effort it will be to keep DECnet
>around, perhaps without any new work.  Can you answer that question?  How much
>effort is required to keep DECnet on VMS?

Now that it builds, essentially zero if there is no new work and no
bugs reported.  But we had to be able to build it in case someone
does report a bug, and we are to create a version with the fix.

Of course, once x86 comes along, we would have to build it (and
everything else) for x86.

There is always a chance some big VMS project breaks something in
DECnet that would require fixing ( = $$$) Perhaps the new file system?
I don't know.