[Info-vax] What would you miss if DECnet got the chop? Was: "bad select 38" (OpenSSL on VMS)

Chris xxx.syseng.yyy at gfsys.co.uk
Mon Sep 19 17:42:34 EDT 2016

On 09/18/16 23:01, Kerry Main wrote:

> The reality is that the future IoT world is not going to happen
> on IPV4, so start planning your coexistence strategy now.

IPV6 may be the future and will be required for externally facing
kit, there's no need for it at all for a small to medium sized
network behind a router or firewall.  My isp may use IPV6 and I
suspect much of the path to external sites is or will be IPV6,
but it's about appropriate tech for the task in hand and avoiding
kit upgrade for no reason at all. Much of the older or even recent
ip infrastructure is still IPV4 only and if you don't need the
address space, you don't need IPV6, not the expensive kit upgrades.

In fact, with the kit here, IPV6 is either disabled or removed from
the kernel build options altogether, so never appears to clutter
up interface listings. Less is more etc...

Regards,

Chris