[Info-vax] What would you miss if DECnet got the chop? Was: "bad select 38" (OpenSSL on VMS)

Chris xxx.syseng.yyy at gfsys.co.uk
Tue Sep 20 06:00:24 EDT 2016

On 09/19/16 23:15, Stephen Hoffman wrote:
> On 2016-09-19 22:01:26 +0000, Chris said:
>
>> You might also have a look at the rsync utility....
>
> Ayup; I'm aware of rsync. Last I checked, it was a little messy to port
> that to OpenVMS too, but I digress.
>
> There are any number of other approaches available.
>
> Among others, git or hg, or any of the distributed packages that
> maintain and update installed software and associated dependencies —
> OpenVMS is a little lacking in these areas, too.

Which is why, once again, VMS needs a software abstraction layer that
presents a unix  / Linux interface. Do that once, do it right and most
if not all of the useful os code is available with just a recompile.

A short step from that to a full package oriented environment for VMS.
Sheer luxury :-)...

Regards,

Chris