[Info-vax] [OT] Portable operating systems, was: Re: PowerX Roadmap -

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Sep 20 06:48:00 EDT 2016

On 2016-09-19 21:51, GreyCloud wrote:
> On 09/19/16 08:34, Dirk Munk wrote:

>> Intel did design the 4-mode setup, they just made an error in the
>> design. Instead of correcting the design, they crippled it even more.
>>
>> I don't know if AMD has the same problem.
>
> An interesting point you just brought up.  AMD right now isn't exactly
> getting rich these days selling their current processors.  Assuming one
> can, approach AMD with this particular question and see what is there.
> If AMD did it correctly, this may give AMD some hope of increasing sales
> in this particular arena.

Nope. Totally pointless. People (comapnies) in general will not write
any code or OS that would only work specifically on AMD processors. If
AMD haven't already done the same as Intel, they will. Anything else
just don't make sense.

And you really do not need 4 modes. I have said that for years around
here. Seems like VSI understood, but a lot of people still seem to want
to hang on to this like a religion.

	Johnny