[Info-vax] implementing IPv6 on the internet

Chris xxx.syseng.yyy at gfsys.co.uk
Tue Sep 20 09:20:57 EDT 2016

On 09/20/16 12:45, John E. Malmberg wrote:

> And every residential ISP I have had in the last 20 years in the U.S.
> has a Terms Of Service (TOS) absolutely prohibiting this type of access.
>
> And of those residential ISPs that also offer commercial service, the
> main difference in the TOS is that they allocate more e-mail addresses
> for a higher fee. All public servers must either be rented from the ISP
> or another external service.
>
> Maybe it is different in your part of the world.

I don't know of any UK isp's that dictate to the customer in that way
and many people run home servers for their interests and hobbies. Unless
there is network disruption or other problems as a result, they
really don't care.

It's weird, in what is possible the most high tech country on the planet
also has the slowest and worst quality internet service. Obviously need
more competition and regulation of restrictive and monopoly practices.

Tried a test from two speed test sites a few days ago, and consistently
get over 76 Mbits/second from Virgin Media, from a claimed 50 Mbits /
second line. The BT business line only managed 38 Mbits second or so,
but Virgin really are pushing the boundaries now, offering up to
200 M bits / second in some areas...

Regards,

Chris