[Info-vax] What would you miss if DECnet got the chop? Was: "bad select 38" (OpenSSL on VMS)

Chris xxx.syseng.yyy at gfsys.co.uk
Tue Sep 20 12:11:12 EDT 2016

On 09/20/16 13:26, John E. Malmberg wrote:

> rsync as last I looked at the source needs one of:
>
> A. A working fork for straight port.

That sounds like the hard bit, the rest being not too difficult
perhaps. If VMS has TCP/IP, one assumes that it has a socket
library already ?

> B. A C Compiler that support a thread local storage qualifier, which
> would allow a pass with an editor to do most of the work to convert it
> to threads.

The first question being, is there a fairly up to date gcc and
associated tools for VMS ?.

> C. A major bit of work to identify which static variables are used for
> sending, and which for receiving and then put them in a thread context
> variable.
>

> I got pretty far with step C before I needed to move on to other things.
>
> I have a proof of concept port which in spite of both threads sharing
> static variables with out coordination actually works about 95% of the
> time.

You must have put a lot of work into that and probably noone knew about
it :-). If VSI haven't the time right now to do this, why not an open
source collaboration group for VMS, organised and run by the users,
perhaps with input and help from VSI ?. I haven't programmed anything on
VMS since the mid 1990's, but there must be enough people around with
the skills and time to contribute to such a group. As I said, the first
project needs to be the abstraction layer, never mind how incomplete it
is to start with, but proof of concept and a way forward. Would be much
better to put effort into that, rather than ticking off ports one
by one.

Teamwork is the way forward, but it needs someone to build and manage
the organisational structure first...