[Info-vax] implementing IPv6 on the internet

Scott Dorsey kludge at panix.com
Tue Sep 20 16:23:19 EDT 2016

Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) <helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de> wrote:
>In article <nrrav8$724$1 at dont-email.me>, "John E. Malmberg"
><wb8tyw at qsl.net_work> writes:
>
>> And every residential ISP I have had in the last 20 years in the U.S.
>> has a Terms Of Service (TOS) absolutely prohibiting this type of access.
>>
>> And of those residential ISPs that also offer commercial service, the
>> main difference in the TOS is that they allocate more e-mail addresses
>> for a higher fee.  All public servers must either be rented from the ISP
>> or another external service.
>>
>> Maybe it is different in your part of the world.
>
>Thankfully, yes, very different.

Most of the world is very different in that regard.

In addition, there are large parts of the where IPv6 is commonplace.  In
the US, it seemed like addresses were running out, but NAT arrived on the
scene before IPv6 for the most part.  But much of the rest of the world
didn't really adopt NAT so enthusiastically, and there were places in Asia
that got very little IPv4 space and so jumped into the IPv6 train as soon
as they possibly could.

In general, home internet service in the US is dreadful, and well behind
what was available in places like rural Poland five or six years ago.
And what is most sad is that Americans just don't seem to realize how bad
it is.
--scott