[Info-vax] implementing IPv6 on the internet

Jan-Erik Soderholm jan-erik.soderholm at telia.com
Wed Sep 21 13:32:15 EDT 2016

Den 2016-09-21 kl. 19:27, skrev Dirk Munk:
> Jan-Erik Soderholm wrote:

>>> I had a look at TeamViewer, and I'm sure it will be useful for certain
>>> purposes.
>>>
>>> However why it should be simpler then opening a port escapes me, it is
>>> quite a big software package.
>>
>> It is way easier to use then managing a router. And what the
>> heck does the size of the package/download has to do with that?
>>

> Lots of configuration possibilities? Lots of things to read?

Nop. Close to nothing. Just run, and pass the "user" and "pw"
to your partner that then can connect to your system.
I use TW to support my mother with her laptop.

It sounds as you haven't use TW at all...

>>> Furthermore I doubt if it even knows about IPv6, most likely it just IPv4
>>> aware.
>>>
>>> And I very much doubt if consumers will want to pay €360 per year for
>>> TeamViewer.
>>>

>> You are totally missing the point. I'm not sure that it is worth
>> trying, but anyway...
>>
>> 1'st, Teamviewer is free for the basic functionallity, but irrelevant.
>
> Nice, but I had a short look and saw "buy" with €360 per year as cheapest
> option.

Look for "download" instead. :-)

>> 2'nd, TW was only mentioned as an example of how communication
>> between clients behind NAT'ed routers is solved without forcing
>> the user to learn about "port forwarding".
>
> Fine, but it still assumes both end-points have TeamViewer.

Of course! That's is the whole point with TeamViewer.
I think you are still misunderstanding.

>> There are also other equipments (home security, home automation)
>> that works in very much the same way. The equipment annonces itself
>> to some service on the net, and your client (like phone app) asks
>> this server for the actual IP/port to use. (The the domain has
>> been resolved to an IP is totaly irrelevant).
>>

> I know, but then you're always dependant on some other service.

Doesn't matter. Still far easier then configuring a router.