[Info-vax] implementing IPv6 on the internet

Chris xxx.syseng.yyy at gfsys.co.uk
Wed Sep 21 14:29:24 EDT 2016

On 09/21/16 17:38, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> Much of the world HAS converted.  It's really in the US where you see the
> insistence on sticking with v4.

 From what I can see, looks like the majority of uk domestic isp
subscribers on V4 at present as well, so it looks like we may
have a two tier internet at present isp's and top level, V6,
with the end point subscribers are on V4.

>> At this stage V6 still has no definite specs, which is a recipe
>> for compatibility chaos, unproven software and security
>> loopholes for the bad guys to exploit. In comparison, V4 has had
>> decades of development, debugging, is pretty solid and is a known
>> quantity.
>
> I think you're a decade behind here.  IPv6 is in place and running in most
> of Asia and has been for some time now.
> --scott

Asia is not the whole world and while V6 may in general use,
it's 5-10 years away or more for more general adoption
worldwide, afaics.

It took decades to shake out all the bugs from V4 and all the
unknown corner cases not thought of in the design, not to mention
all the security issues which still surface from time to time
even now. Expect the adoption of V6 to be the same.

Look, i'm not arguing against V6 for it's own sake and it
is obviously needed. But please, enough of the prosletisation,
assumptions and arm waving about how good it is and what the
rest of the world is using and their reasons for doing so :-).

Regards,

Chris