[Info-vax] VSI and Process Software announcement

Kerry Main kemain.nospam at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 16:34:22 EDT 2016

[snip..]

> >> Anyway, I could not find a way to create similar network
> devices
> >> using Multinet. At least not using the telnet part of
Multinet.

> >> Of course they can have other names than TNAnnnn, but it
> would sure
> >> be nice to have the same function.
> >>
> >> So, is this possible using Multinet?
> >>
> >> Jan-Erik.
> >
> > Well, I didn't see anything that said they were just going to
> replace
> > TCP/IP with the Multinet product.  I did see "license IP",
which
> for
> > me sort of indicates a modified or new TCP/IP.  Perhaps what
> you need
> > will be in the new product.  Note that "early 2017" sort of
> implies
> > that it's not done yet.
>
> Yes, I thought of that. We do not know how rellevant the
current
> Multinet docs are for the "new TCPIP" for VMS... :-)

Re: testing -

In terms of ease of testing, I currently have installed both
Multinet V5.5 and TCPIP V5.7 stacks on my VSI OpenVMS V8.4-2L1
rx2600 lab system. While I cannot speak to how the VSI product
will behave or what it will look like, today, I can flip from one
stack to the other by simply enabling /disabling the appropriate
startup file in the systartup_vms.com file and then reboot.

Hence, assuming the new VSI TCPIP stack will be similar to
Multinet, testing should be easy to do. With both stacks
installed on the same system, and once config/script/app changes
are done, measure how things work with one stack, flip startup
file, reboot and then measure performance and/or test
functionality with the other stack.

Regards,

Kerry Main
Kerry dot main at starkgaming dot com