[Info-vax] implementing IPv6 on the internet

Chris xxx.syseng.yyy at gfsys.co.uk
Wed Sep 21 18:06:12 EDT 2016

On 09/21/16 21:43, Dirk Munk wrote:

> Everybody, if you use the 10.0.0.0 private address range. But that's not
> the point. You seem to assume that you can easily route messages from
> IPv6 (WAN) to IPv4 (LAN). That is not the case.

That's just a software engineering problem. If there is the need, the
code will be written to provide a solution. For an incomplete but
adequate for the task solution, the design may not be that complex.

I see the spread of IPV6 as a downward spread from the top, with one
of the last stages being home and sm business routers that do in fact
translate the V6 on the Wan to V4 on the private local net. Any other
way would cause far too much disruption for all concerned. Example:
those who use fixed ip addresses on the local net, not those provided
by the router dhcp. That's just the start of the problems. The whole
idea of any rollout like this is for it to be seamless and disruption
free. Sure, it will come, but not overnight and it will take years to
complete...

Regards,

Chris