[Info-vax] implementing IPv6 on the internet

Stephen Hoffman seaohveh at hoffmanlabs.invalid
Thu Sep 22 11:24:32 EDT 2016

On 2016-09-21 23:01:51 +0000, Robert A. Brooks said:

> On 9/21/2016 4:16 PM, Stephen Hoffman wrote:
>> On 2016-09-21 19:24:29 +0000, Kerry Main said:
>>
>>> Well, not if you have been running Multinet.
>>>
>>> And now with today's new TCPIP stack announcement, VSI OpenVMS just
>>> made a major jump forward into the current world.
>>
>> Ayup.   Migrating from the vendor-licensed and supported IP stack to an
>> extra-cost third-party IP stack is forward progress, oddly enough.
>
> I'm not sure how "extra-cost" is relevant here, since it isn't an extra
> cost to the customer.

Would it have been better if I had added a "what was an extra-cost..."?
   It was intended to be a comment on how we got here.

We can use the vendor-provided HPE IP stack with its problems and
limitations, and with its endemic third-party software support.

There are presently better add-on extra-cost IP stacks from a
third-party, and that constrains software support from various
third-party software package providers.   (I rarely end up testing
networking code on the Process stacks, and I suspect I'm not the only
one.)

Going forward, there'll be some new stack based on Process IP stacks,
integrated in some unspecified fashion (and I'd vote for a complete
overhaul of all related management UIs, both DEC-legacy and
Process-legacy, and for the inclusion of Apache and other modern web
services into the result, as well as starting down a path to embed TLS
communications and related security and preferably with an application
API that is somewhat independent of the the APIs of the underlying TLS
library) and (presumably? apparently?) this new VSI with "IP networking