[Info-vax] VSI and Process Software announcement

IanD iloveopenvms at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 17:56:57 EDT 2016

On Thursday, September 22, 2016 at 7:13:33 AM UTC+10, David Froble wrote:
> Jan-Erik Soderholm wrote:
> > Den 2016-09-21 kl. 19:20, skrev David Froble:
>
> >> Well, I didn't see anything that said they were just going to replace
> >> TCP/IP with the Multinet product.  I did see "license IP", which for me
> >> sort of indicates a modified or new TCP/IP.  Perhaps what you need
> >> will be
> >> in the new product.  Note that "early 2017" sort of implies that it's not
> >> done yet.
> >
> > Yes, I thought of that. We do not know how rellevant the current
> > Multinet docs are for the "new TCPIP" for VMS... :-)
>
> I'd guess that unless someone says that it is, that it is not.
>
> It doesn't sound like VSI is just replacing TCP/IP with Multinet.

>From the prweb release...

Quote: "VSI intends to release the new TCP/IP stack as VSI TCP/IP V10.5. The timing of the release is still being determined, but we intend to accelerate time-to-market, by first distributing V10.5 as an independent installation kit. Customers will have the option to keep using the existing stack or install V10.5. However, the older stack will be phased out within the next 2 years."

I assume when they mean 'older stack' they are meaning TCPIP Services?

That to me says that the old will be going and it's got 2 years (+ time taken before V10.5 is knocked out). 2 years means sites out there wanting to stay current are going to have to get moving - sort of brings an air of excitement and urgency with it actually :-).

No more sleepy OpenVMS if this sort of time-frame for change spills over to the rest of OpenVMS!