[Info-vax] implementing IPv6 on the internet

David Froble davef at tsoft-inc.com
Thu Sep 22 23:15:33 EDT 2016

Dirk Munk wrote:
> John E. Malmberg wrote:

>>> You've had very bad luck as I've never seen that. However, I have been
>>> in the big city (Chicago), where there are mulitiple ISPs competing for
>>> business, including SOHO business, which they often explicitly mention
>>> in their advertising for residential services.
>>>
>>> Comcast's residential agreement is here:
>>>
>>> <http://www.xfinity.com/Corporate/Customers/Policies/SubscriberAgreement.html>
>>>

>> Yes, that is nice to be in an area where there is actual competition.
>>
>> And I think if you can find a TOS for Comcast that is at least 10 years
>> older, you will probably find that it was more restrictive until they
>> started losing business in the bigger cities to DSL / Fibre.
>>
>> This is what I have for a TOS:
>>
>> https://mediacomcable.com/site/legal_residential_text.html
>>
>> Specifically:
>>
>> "
>> you may not:
>>
>>     Use or run dedicated, stand-alone equipment or servers from your
>> premises that provide network content or any other services to anyone
>> outside of your premises. Examples of prohibited equipment and servers
>> include, but are not limited to, email, Web hosting, file sharing, and
>> proxy services and servers;
>> "
>> And on top of that they have added a bandwidth overage fee which means
>> that if I set up a server that was popular, I could get an even larger
>> bill.
>>
>> This is what small town America generally gets for the only broadband
>> ISP available.
>>
>> Regards,
>> -John
>> wb8tyw at qsl.net_work
>>

> I took at look at the prices of your provider, they are quite expensive.
>
> My provider charges $86,50 for 300/30 Mbs internet, no data limit, 115
> TV channels (38 HD), a settop box annex DVR, WiFi, 5 email addresses.
>
> An that's incl. 21% VAT, so $71.50 without VAT.

Where you can get it, I've seen past prices below $20 for DSL.  No, it's not
fiber, but the price seems right.  Problem is, some companies are now pushing
for wireless broadband, with it's high prices, terrible service, low bandwidth
limits, and such.  They are mainly interested in smart phones, and internet
access for computers is an after thought.