[Info-vax] implementing IPv6 on the internet

Dirk Munk munk at home.nl
Fri Sep 23 14:59:52 EDT 2016

Chris wrote:
> On 09/21/16 22:40, Dirk Munk wrote:
>

>> Keep on dreaming :-)
>>
>> It's quite simple. Since Windows Vista IPv6 is the preferred IP stack
>> for Windows. Mac OS and Linux have IPv6. Every CE router you can buy
>> today has IPv6, or can get it by means of a firmware upgrade. Dual
>> stacks or tunnels are standard for these routers. In Belgium 45% of the
>> internet connections have IPv6.
>>
>> There is no IPv6 <> IPv4 translating CE router on the market.
>>
>> Not only that, but it can't work like that. Your PC will do an
>> nsloookup, and will get a IPv4 and IPv6 address in return. If there is
>> no IPv6 network present on your LAN, the PC will make an IPv4
>> connection. Your router can only send that traffic to its IPv4
>> destination. It will never know it can also translate it and send it to
>> an IPv6 address.
>>
>> I have been using IPv6 for 7 or 8 years now without a glitch.
>>
>> So I'm sorry to say this, but your ideas are completely besides the
>> reality.
>
> I always find evangelical zeal a litle suspect, so did a bit more
> digging :-).
>
> There's a plethora of IPV6 sites on the web, but if you discard
> all the arm waving and hype, the only two USP's are the
> increased address space and simplification of routing. More or
> less what we thought then.

Well, there are more like a much better implementation of multicast. The
change for IPv4 to IPv6 is evolutionary, but the differences in the
details are quite substantial.

> Wiki has a good introduction here:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6
>
> In the first paragraph:
>
> "Exchanging traffic between the two networks requires translator
> gateways"...

Sure, *if* you are going to translate, and normally that isn't done.
Certainly not in CE routers. Dual stack is the standard way to run IPv4
and IPv6 next to each other.

> Then later:
>
> "It is widely expected that the Internet will use IPv4 alongside
> IPv6 for the foreseeable future"...

True, whole continents like Africa haven't even started with IPv6, so
dual stack will be with us for quite some time.

> Digging a bit more re IPV6 uptake, we find:
>
> https://www.google.com/
> intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html#tab=ipv6-adoption&tab=ipv6-adoption

I know that web page very well.
All Google services (Google, YouTube etc.) can be reached with IPv6.
Every Windows PC (except the ancient XP) has IPv6 as preferred IP stack.
As soon as an ISP enables IPv6, almost all of the PC's of that ISP will
start using IPv6.
A few months ago in the UK not even 1% of the connections had IPv6, now
it's over 10%. Belgium had just a bit over 30%, now its 45%.
In the US Netflix on its own is responsible for 30% of all IP traffic,
and Netflix can be reached over IPv6.

> ..and on other sites, seems over 95% of internet traffic is
> still via IPV4, so despite your assertions, seems like my
> assessment of the current state is far less "dreamlike" than
> yours :-)...

With "keep on dreaming" I was referring to your translation on the CE
router idea, IPv6 over the Internet, IPv4 at your home LAN.