[Info-vax] implementing IPv6 on the internet

David Froble davef at tsoft-inc.com
Fri Sep 23 16:59:40 EDT 2016

Dirk Munk wrote:
> Richard Levitte wrote:
>> Den fredag 23 september 2016 kl. 20:59:55 UTC+2 skrev Dirk Munk:
>>> With "keep on dreaming" I was referring to your translation on the CE
>>> router idea, IPv6 over the Internet, IPv4 at your home LAN.
>>
>> Oh, I'm sure someone will love NAT enough to do just that.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Richard ( #ishouldshutupnow )
>>

> It's not that easy. It's not only the addresses, in many cases the way
> the packets are set up has changed as well. Such a translation would be
> quite a difficult undertaking, the CPU power of a simple CE router isn't
> enough.

Look, I'm not an expert at this stuff, but I have to ask, why is it so hard?

Right now, NAT somehow figures which internal address to send a response coming
back from the internet.  I think I read once that it puts the internal IP
address in the packet.  Don't know much about that.  But if so, then at least
returning packets via IPv6 could have inside the packet the IPv4 address for the
internal system.

As for connection attempts from outside, the sender would have to have knowledge
of the internal address, and perhaps places that in the packet.

Not real clean, but, wouldn't it work?