[Info-vax] implementing IPv6 on the internet

Chris xxx.syseng.yyy at gfsys.co.uk
Fri Sep 23 17:54:44 EDT 2016

On 09/23/16 21:22, Dirk Munk wrote:

> And now we get a problem. How is the router suppose to know it has to
> build a new IPv6 packet with the same payload, but destination address
> X6, and sending address WAN6?

The router will already have it's own V6 address, supplied by the isp.
It will also know about the V4 addresses on it's own private subnet
and how to work NAT for those addresses. Basically, all that needs
to be done is to translate between the packet format of one
to the other. Not a difficult task at all and one that a V4
router already does via it's NAT already. NAT translates
internal addresses in both directions, so that the internal addresses
never appear on the wan side of the router.

As for cpu throughput, we work embedded systems here and can tell you
that even an ancient pentium P500 has enough throughput to handle NAT
and do dpi (deep packet inspection) and maintain state tables for
dozens or more connections at once and in real time. Modern Arm
processors are orders of magnitude faster than that and will handle
it easily.

As I said earlier, it's just a software engineering problem and if
there's a demand for V6 to V4 conversion it will happen. Your isp
may already use it for backbone to local subscriber conversion,
so why don't you ask them ?.

As for looking at "Belgium", I'd rather not, if you don't mind :-)...

Regards,

Chris