[Info-vax] implementing IPv6 on the internet

Dirk Munk munk at home.nl
Fri Sep 23 18:12:44 EDT 2016

Chris wrote:
> On 09/23/16 21:22, Dirk Munk wrote:
>

>> And now we get a problem. How is the router suppose to know it has to
>> build a new IPv6 packet with the same payload, but destination address
>> X6, and sending address WAN6?
>
> The router will already have it's own V6 address, supplied by the isp.
> It will also know about the V4 addresses on it's own private subnet
> and how to work NAT for those addresses.

Great, and how does the router know the IPv6 address of Microsoft, or
even better, how does the router know it has to send the packet to the
IPv6 address of Microsoft?

The PC did a nslookup remember, the router didn't. The router doesn't
know it has to exchange the IPv4 address of microsoft by the IPv6
address, how could it? If the PC sends something to an IPv4 address, how
can the router know if this destination also has an IPv6 address?