[Info-vax] implementing IPv6 on the internet

Paul Sture nospam at sture.ch
Sat Sep 24 05:08:06 EDT 2016

On 2016-09-24, Richard Levitte <richard at levitte.org> wrote:
> Den lördag 24 september 2016 kl. 00:43:16 UTC+2 skrev Dirk Munk:
>> Richard Levitte wrote:

>> > I wrote this for chuckles, and was hoping that the hashtag would
>> > give you all an indication.  I'm amazed someone's taking this
>> > seriously.
>> >

>> In the IP world anything is possible. Some guys did make IPv6 NAT.
>
> Mm...  and apparently, what I made into a joke apparently already
> exists.  NAT64 and NAT46, look it up!  (and yeah, I can see the use if
> you really have IPv4 only devices)

Teredo is actually in the Windows 8.1 EULA (and IIRC the 8.0 version
said you weren't supposed to disable it).

"g.	IPv6 Network Address Translation (NAT) Traversal service
(Teredo). Each time you start your licensed computer, Teredo will
attempt to locate a public Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) service on
the Internet. This occurs automatically when your licensed computer is
connected to a public or private network, but does not occur on managed
networks such as enterprise domains. If you use a program that requires
Teredo to use IPv6 connectivity, or if you configure your firewall to
always enable IPv6 connectivity, then Teredo will periodically contact
the Microsoft Teredo service over the Internet. The only information
sent to Microsoft is standard computer information and the name of the
service requested (for example teredo.ipv6.microsoft.com). The
information sent from your computer by Teredo is used to determine if
your computer is connected to the Internet and if it can locate a public
IPv6 service. Once the service is located, information is sent to
maintain a connection with the IPv6 service."

Further links:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teredo_tunneling>

Note the bit "As of IETF89, Microsoft plans to deactivate their Teredo
servers for Windows clients in the first half of 2014 (exact date TBD),
and encourage the deactivation of publicly operated Teredo relays."

I have no idea if MS got around to that or not.

<https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457042.aspx>

--
It was untidy, so got unplugged.
It was unplugged, so got thrown away.