[Info-vax] Updated HPE/VSI OpenVMS V8.4-2L1 Marketing Brochures

Kerry Main kemain.nospam at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 12:17:22 EDT 2016

Those seem like decades old pricing for OpenVMS clustering based on the old per core scheme, (not the socket based with I2/I4), but let's put things in perspective:

Microsoft Linux environment running Oracle RAC on a small 2 node ProLiant X86-64 with 4 cores on each server

Oracle pricing - 8 cores x 50K (list) + 50% for RAC
Sub-Total = $600,000 x 0.5 (oracle processor core factor for X86)
Total = $300,000  initial Oracle license + Annual Support costs of approx. 15% ($45K/year)

Now you can see why the OpenVMS X86-64 PCF is such a big licensing factor in the Oracle World

-
> A decade ago, I priced out low-end servers for use here.   Then-
> HP was
> over US$20K for their low-end OpenVMS I64 and Itanium server
> configuration — that's without clustering, Oracle and most of the
> other software and licenses — versus US$1K for an entire low-
> end server with
> hardware, software, and three years software and hardware
> support.    I
> very nearly purchased the whole package for the cost of the
> OpenVMS license.  That server was also vastly easier to install and
> maintain,
> and I have some familiarity with OpenVMS server management.
> And with
> SQLite and PostgreSQL and other tools, relational databases are
> available.
>
> Prices on competing servers and software have dropped, too.
> Ignoring
> Centos and other free options, one's offering has gone from
> US$1K to
> ~$20.   Oracle has more than a little competition for databases,
> too.
>
> > So Oracle have committed to x86 on OpenvMS?
> >
> > I was under the impression they were fence sitting waiting to
> see if
> > VSI was sustainable longer term?
>
> Oracle will likely want access to the port before they decide, and
> they'll likely also want VSI to fund the Oracle port, and they'll
> probably want to turn a profit from that effort.  That's certainly
> what the managers of most businesses would ask for, if they
> were in Oracle's position in these or other negotiations.  Why
> should Oracle take on the risk?

Rather than speculate, here is the remaining 2016 dates Oracle Rdb and Oracle DB forum schedule that is free:
http://bit.ly/2dpvNqo

In addition, Oracle is attending the OpenVMS Boot Camp next week to provide an update on both databases as well.

[snip]

Regards,

Kerry Main
Kerry dot main at starkgaming dot com