[Info-vax] IA64 full system emulator ?

Simon Clubley clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
Sat Sep 24 15:06:02 EDT 2016

On 2016-09-22, BillPedersen <pedersen at ccsscorp.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, September 22, 2016 at 5:39:18 PM UTC-4, IanD wrote:
>>
>> I've searched around the place and never found anything either other than references on Hoff's page and a few other sites pointing to the same Sourceforge destination
>>
>> http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/983
>>
>> At some point in time I would have thought VSI or Stormasys might develop something for when OpenVMS moves away from Itanium but I wonder if it would be worth it.
>> I think most people who have gone to Itanium are on applications / software that can be ported much easier than some of the old Alpha stuff (like where I am), so the market need for an Itanium emulator might not be there?
>>
>> I certainly would love to have one - then again, where is VSI's hobbyist program...
>
> Standing up a new cross-platform virtualization environment is a non-trivial task. Even with a starting point like the SKI instruction emulator.  And you have to recall that that effort was not multi-core and still had to have a lot of glue added for memory management, IO and the like.

Thanks to Ian and Bill for your answers.

Yes, I suspected I hadn't missed anything given the total lack of
meaningful results (other than SKI), but in a world where people
emulate older machines for fun (in SimH) and newer machines for
various reasons (in QEMU, for example) I couldn't be sure.

Thanks for confirming my own research.

Simon.

--
Simon Clubley, clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP