[Info-vax] Out of date defaults. Was: Re: VSI and Process Software announcement

Paul Sture nospam at sture.ch
Sun Sep 25 07:53:36 EDT 2016

On 2016-09-25, Dirk Munk <munk at home.nl> wrote:

> I remember an Alpha 8400 cluster with a 4GB memory per system, huge in
> those days. It didn't perform well. The cache setting as still at the
> default 3MB (afaik), many batch jobs were set for a maximum memory usage
> of 2.5MB. Why? Nobody knew, "I don't know, it has always been like that"
>
> I can give you many more examples like that, with Unix, Linux, Windows,
> it doesn't matter. Incompetent staff that has no idea what they are
> doing, trained to invoke scripts, not to understand what the scripts are
> doing.

Another example of that, on the subject of OpenOffice settings:

"For 14 years I've been telling OOo* users to open up any OOo app, go to
Tools, Options, Memory, and then multiply any values they see in there
by 10. Then their OOo will run like it's been greased and dropped off a
steep hill whilst charged up with neutrinos travelling faster than the
speed of light."

<http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2016/09/02/openoffice_retirement/#c_2962043>

P.S. the location of those settings varies by OpenOffice flavour and
host platform.  For LibreOffice on OS X/macOS they are in Preferences ->
Memory)

--
It said I needed to have eight characters for my password.
So I chose Snow White and the seven dwarves.