[Info-vax] What would you miss if DECnet got the chop? Was: "bad select 38" (OpenSSL on VMS)

Paul Sture nospam at sture.ch
Sun Sep 25 13:03:13 EDT 2016

On 2016-09-18, Scott Dorsey <kludge at panix.com> wrote:
> Dirk Munk  <munk at home.nl> wrote:
>>Scott Dorsey wrote:

>>> And, that being the case, we need to have the same features that
>>> people
>>> have liked with DECNET (such as the remote save sets) available with > IP.
>>
>>YOU ALREADY HAVE THOSE FEATURES !!!!! IT IS CALLED DECNET OVER IP !!!!!
>>
>>Why on earth would any one try to invent something that is already
>>there, that is plain silly. No other OS could use those features.
>
> There's the problem right there.  "No other OS could use those features."
>
> Maybe I want to put my remote saveset on a Solaris machine.  Maybe I
> want to put it on a disk appliance.  We live in a world where we need
> to coexist.

Back when my DAT drive packed up I happily used the tape functionality
of LDDRIVER to store tape images containing BACKUP savesets on an NFS
share hosted by OS X.  One caveat was the 2GB (?) limit of NFSv2 -
savesets exceeding that would wrap to the beginning, and of course
that version of OS X being 32 bit had its own limits as well.

--
It said I needed to have eight characters for my password.
So I chose Snow White and the seven dwarves.