[Info-vax] (Hypothetical only) Major new security issue for VAX/Alpha. What do you do ?

Scott Dorsey kludge at panix.com
Sun Sep 25 17:27:53 EDT 2016

In article <653e134a-abfc-4a48-bb36-a261f21ddb7e at googlegroups.com>,
IanD  <iloveopenvms at gmail.com> wrote:
>The industry is obviously targeting security as becoming more important as things goes forward
>
>I happen to believe that business is prepared to pay for security more than it ever used to

Business is prepared to pay for the appearance of security.  But if businesses
were actually prepared to pay for security we would be seeing a lot more
capability architectures and a lot less server-side javascript.

Some of this is because a lot of people don't really know what security is,
but in many cases when people find out what it really is and what it actually
costs, they balk quickly.

>AMD are working on memory encryption in hardware with the driver being Cloud
>
>http://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/AMD%20x86%20Memory%20Encryption%20Technology%20LSS%20Slides.pdf
>
>Looks like they have tested this stuff against linux already

This seems like the least of ones' worries.
--scott