[Info-vax] What would you miss if DECnet got the chop? Was: "bad select 38" (OpenSSL on VMS)

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net_work
Mon Sep 26 09:02:58 EDT 2016

On 9/26/2016 6:43 AM, Neil Rieck wrote:

> Example-2
>
> In our computer center, all of our systems employ a private DECnet
> network to backup their individual drives to a single very large drive
> on one system (our newest rx2800). Then we employ a private TCP/IP
> network to FTP all these savesets to a terabyte drive connected to a
> windows-7 system via USB (we bought 20 of these drives for under $100
> each; these drives are in an off-site rotation).
>
> Primary recovery could be done by booting the OpenVMS boot media
> (once  we get DECnet started then are able to connect to the rs2800). Secondary
> recovery (only if the rx2800 is down) would require us getting a system
> running with TCP/IP then FTPing from Windows-7.

Suggestion:

Set up the RX2800 as an Infoserver that can serve all the image backups
including the system disks backups for the other systems (Both a Known
good and latest)

Then for recovery instead of booting the VMS media and fussing with
DecNet, you can boot the proper recovery disk for the system being
repaired and restore it in less steps.

I think you will also find that if you plug in a 1TB USB drive into the
RX2800, OpenVMS will format it and use it just fine.

Regards,
-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net_work