[Info-vax] VSI and Process Software announcement

Kerry Main kemain.nospam at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 16:10:40 EDT 2016

And to put things into further perspective as to why one needs L2 folks to install (L1 ok to do daily admin) - things are going to get a lot more complex.

As an example - BL890 OpenVMS blade servers now support up to 1.5TB of local memory. How big is even a selective system crash dump file going to be? Would you even create one or wait for issues? What are process quota's?

And that TB number will surely be going up as cheap new non-volatile memories appear next year from Intel (3D XPoint) and others.

This is going to require a re-think of not only the server tuning but also DB and storage tuning as well. The classic "many, many small rack servers connected by slow LAN latency networks" vs "much smaller numbers of very large blade servers" is going to come up (app specific considerations).

Even with file storage - I have a local 2TB disk (mirrored 3rd party 2 TB drives- not supported but works great) on my local rx2600. Cost for 2 drives, case enclosure and LSI controller was total about CAD$400. For Cust's who struggle with disk storage, this is going to require a re-think as well. I can store 20 full system image backup files  (6GB or less each) and at 180GB have not even used up 10% of the available space on that volume. With 10TB single drives now available (support in next file system on OpenVMS), one has to again, re-think how files will be managed in the future.

With a 2TB common system disk, other than app specific hot files, is there still the same push to move apps off the system disk? How to do layout the App directory structures?

[google BarraCuda Pro drives for info on 10TB drives]

Here is output from this big (and really cheap) disk "show device" on my system:
Free blocks = 3556200960 (1.65TB)
Total blocks = 3905980417

:-)

Regards,