[Info-vax] HP's VMS files

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net_work
Tue Sep 27 18:55:27 EDT 2016

On 9/27/2016 11:35 AM, Bill Cunningham wrote:
> "David Froble" <davef at tsoft-inc.com> wrote in message
> news:nsc7s7$ge0$1 at dont-email.me...
>
>> Usually, when you download a file, or files, the source location has some
>> information on what the files are, and sometimes even some information
>> about how to use the files.  Did you check out that information?
>
>     I didn't see it. It seems any docs are in the zip files.

David,

This is the hobbyist distribution.  HPE and it predecessors assumed that
the people requesting hobbyists distributions know a few minimum things
including:

1. How to find the online VMS documentation, if nothing else then by
using a search engine.

2. That they can figure out how to properly unzip a zip archive file for
VMS or a CD/DVD image.

3. They can figure out how to either burn a CD/DVD image or copy it to a
target system.

4. They can read the online documentation and follow it.

Yesterday evening I posted a link to what media is available to
hobbyists downloads.

On that same page are links terminal session logs of installations of
most of the layered products available to hobbyists for VAX/VMS 7.3
which should have answered all the questions that he asked today.

And if my memory serves me correctly there was an almost identical
thread a few months back where I also posted the same link for the same
reasons.

Regards,
-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net_work