[Info-vax] What would you miss if DECnet got the chop? Was: "bad select 38" (OpenSSL on VMS)

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Sep 29 14:53:18 EDT 2016

On 2016-09-28 23:09, Rob Brown wrote:
> On 2016-09-19, Dirk Munk <munk at home.nl> wrote:
>>
>> DECnet Phase IV and DECnet Phase V are two completely different products.
>
> But phase V can communicate with Phase IV nodes.  RSX never got Phase V.
> What about DEC's other OSes?

Only VMS ever got Phase V. All other DEC OSes stayed at IV.

> I would like Phase V to retain the ability to talk to Phase IV.

I would assume/hope that this was not removed, if Phase V were worked
on. But I would seriously question the sanity of anyone at VSI who
suggested they should put any work into DECnet.
At most, it could make sense to provide the ability that Multinet
already have, of using TCP/IP as a transport for DECnet circuits, which
can be done for Phase IV. I suspect that could actually be of some use
at a few places. And it has already been implemented.
But anything beyond that, just would not make sense.

	Johnny