[Info-vax] Goodbye VAX

John H. Reinhardt johnhreinhardt at thereinhardts.org
Sat Jan 1 12:43:06 EST 2022

On 12/31/2021 12:47 PM, Don North wrote:
> On 2021-12-31 02:58, Simon Clubley wrote:
>> Today is the last day for VAX systems unless you have a permanent licence.
>>
>> It was a good architecture for its time, but I doubt we will ever see
>> something like it again. The world has moved very much to a 2-mode KU
>> architecture approach (with operating systems designed to match) and
>> also very much away from the CISC approach with all the complex
>> instructions in hardware that VAX had.
>>
>> Goodbye VAX and farewell.
>>
>> Simon.
>>

> Yes, my poor old VLC will lose it's brain tomorrow and become a boat anchor.

My MV3100 is now a near boat anchor.  I managed to find a few PAKs on Ebay which will keep the OS and Network alive but the rest of the LP will be dead - no BASIC, Fortran, PASCAL, etc.  *sigh*

I still have a couple Alphas running under the VSI CLP so I'm not OpenVMS-less but still.

--
John H. Reinhardt