[Info-vax] Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?

Simon Clubley clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
Mon Jan 3 06:00:20 EST 2022

On 2022-01-02, Scott Dorsey <kludge at panix.com> wrote:
> Bill Gunshannon  <bill.gunshannon at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>Sadly, language has little to do with it.  Too  much of the
>>DEC stuff is still proprietary and trade secret locked.  Last
>>I heard that was the reason why neither NetBSD or OpenBSD ever
>>had a functioning X11.
>
> Ever had a functioning X11 _server_.  The clients work just fine,
> it's just that the DEC framebuffers are nontrivial to develop a
> display server for given the available documentation.
> --scott

Someone added basic framebuffer support to simh, and it does mostly
work ok with VAX/VMS. It's been a while but I do remember being able
to get a DECwindows display running under simh (although there might
have been some mouse issues (I can't remember for sure)).

Of course, as of this year, that's now obsolete... :-)

Simon.

--
Simon Clubley, clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP