[Info-vax] Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?

chris chris-nospam at tridac.net
Tue Jan 4 17:28:07 EST 2022

On 01/02/22 08:39, Simon Clubley wrote:
> Before deleting my simh instances, I thought I would look for
> other operating systems which ran on VAX and try them out.
>
> The only current one I have found is NetBSD (which certainly has
> a _very_ retro 1980s Unix feel to it. :-)).
>
> OpenBSD dropped VAX as an architecture a number of years ago.
>
> Does anyone know of any other operating systems (including any
> experimental ones) for VAX that are still legal to run under simh ?
>
> If so, do you have any links to them ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Simon.

Some old unix distributions, Ultrix32, for example. 4.3 BSD works
on Vaxen up to MicroVAX II and possibly later. Having installed
4.3 bsd on both a Vax 730 and 725 many years ago, can confirm
that it is stable, works with most interfaces including mscp and
tmscp disk and tape controllers and good for serious work. Iirc,
I installed from 9 track magtape, but can be done via TK50 if you
can find a way to write the tape. I used an Emulex QD33 and UD33
smd disk controllers and disks for the work here.

All that stuff is available online for free now and probably far
more robust than NetBSD Vax, for example...

Chris