[Info-vax] Meditech in the news

George Cornelius corneliusREMOVEME at encompasserve.org
Wed Jan 5 04:35:59 EST 2022

plugh <jchimene at gmail.com> wrote:
> kemain... at gmail.com wrote:
>> [...]

> That's nice. A longer search while "flogging my memory"
> for lived experience results in
> https://www.academickids.com/encyclopedia/index.php/MUMPS

It's not Mumps, an extension of it developed by the creator
of the Mumps language.

I once helped someone with a MicroVAX II running their software,
and it booted up as "Magic Kingdom" - it's own O/S.  As Mumps was
originally, as well - I believe in the PDP-11 world in that case.

He had a question about installing a tape drive, I think.  I had no
way of making any sense of it, though.  Guess I could have borrowed
some books.  They had to have their own terminal servers, as I recall -
special firmware that was not present in the standard ones.

I've also helped decommission a DEC Alpha that was running Meditech.
By that time they may have been on running VMS, I'm not sure.  All I
did was cannibalize some peripherals from it as it was going out the
door.

George