[Info-vax] Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Jan 5 11:18:40 EST 2022

On 2022-01-05 01:29, chris wrote:
> On 01/04/22 23:33, Bill Gunshannon wrote:

>>> Some old unix distributions, Ultrix32,
>>
>> Ultrix32 is not legal for use without a license which you can not get.
>
> Well, it's available for free download at the unix historical society,
> for years, so perhaps they organised some agreement to cover that ?.
> Never run it here, but have run Ultrix 11, for evaluation. Does work
> (on an 11/53), but not very stable.

For a PDP-11 I would definitely point at 2.11BSD any day of the week.
It's really nice and good, and actually pretty useful even for "real" work.

Ultrix-11 or some older BSD would really only be for curiosity.

>>> Iirc,
>>> I installed from 9 track magtape, but can be done via TK50 if you
>>> can find a way to write the tape. I used an Emulex QD33 and UD33
>>> smd disk controllers and disks for the work here.
>>>
>>> All that stuff is available online for free now and probably far
>>> more robust than NetBSD Vax, for example...
>>
>> I really don't see how 4.3 can be more robust than the versions
>> developed from it. :-)
>>

> Perhaps it has improved, but last version run here was 1.01 or
> similar and at that stage neither of the qbus network
> interfaces were stable for long before falling over. Sort of
> worked, but not well. Firmware bug on the network cards, from
> memory. Perhaps I should give it another try...

Around NetBSD 5 or so, it was maybe at its peak. After that it have
become really problematic.

(NetBSD never had a 1.01 version number, but back in the days when it
was still at 1.something, Qbus might have not been working that well.
For now, if someone wants NetBSD on a VAX, I would probably look at
version 4 or 5. But I do have some kind of hope that things will soon
improve.)

   Johnny