[Info-vax] Alternative _legal_ operating systems for VAX ?

David Wade g4ugm at dave.invalid
Thu Jan 6 06:33:03 EST 2022

On 06/01/2022 09:44, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> On 2022-01-06 00:29, Bob Eager wrote:
>> On Wed, 05 Jan 2022 17:18:40 +0100, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>>
>>> For a PDP-11 I would definitely point at 2.11BSD any day of the week.
>>> It's really nice and good, and actually pretty useful even for "real"
>>> work.
>>
>> If the machine is use doesn't have separate I and D space, it's a bit of
>> a tight fit. I remember the struggles we had.
>
> Today I'm not even sure you can get a non-I/D space machine running 2.11.
>
>> In that case, there's always Sixth Edition.
>
> Or Ultrix 11, as Bill suggested.
> But then we're back to much less useful systems again.
>
>> And if it's a PDP-11 with no memory management, Mini-UNIX (a little known
>> thing, but a genuine Bell Labs one):
>>
>>   http://www.tavi.co.uk/unixhistory/mini-unix.html
>
> Cool. Thanks for the link.
>
>    Johnny

Whilst all these suggestions may work, I can't really see any point in
running anything other than VMS on my VAXs. That is what they were
bought for, that is what I have always done.

Given the lack of a legal OS I am quite inclined to send them to the
re-cyclers to be crushed and scrapped.

This would appear to be my only legal way to dispose of them

Thank you HP for "letting me go" and then destroying one of my few
remaining pleasures...

Dave
G4UGM