[Info-vax] Free Alpha emulators running under Linux ?

Simon Clubley clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
Thu Jan 6 13:48:09 EST 2022

On 2022-01-05, cao... at pitbulluk.org <caoimhe at pitbulluk.org> wrote:

> I've noticed that axpbox is more stable when compiled -O2 (rather than the default -O3) though that probably depends on the linux platform - Arm in this case.
> Strangely enough, lowering the amount of optimisation like that was also required to get KLH10 to work correctly.

Actually, that's a common enough problem with code in general when the
programmer makes unjustified assumptions about the environment the code
is operating in and those assumptions become invalid because the compiler
applies fully legal optimisations which then break the code.

It's quite possible for example, that code which is accidentally working
using the default settings with the existing GEM based VMS compilers may
actually break when the same code is compiled under the new upcoming
LLVM-based compilers.

Simon.

--
Simon Clubley, clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP