[Info-vax] Meditech in the news

George Cornelius corneliu at eisner.decus.org
Thu Jan 6 14:37:10 EST 2022

Robert A. Brooks <FIRST.LAST at vmssoftware.com> wrote:
> On 1/5/2022 10:46 PM, George Cornelius wrote:
>
>> Oh, and as a VMS guy I was eventually stuck back at VMS 7.3-2 because
>> Intersystems refused to port to newer versions or to Itanium, and by
>> that time they owned Digital's DSM as well as their own (M/VX or ISM).
>  InterSystems supports Cache on IA64 on VSI's VMS V8.4-1H1

Thanks, Rob.  Now that I think about it, they probably made an announcement
at some point, anticipating the release of Cache', and stating that ISM and
DSM themselves would not be ported going forward, and it was misconstrued
in some quarters.

We do run on Cache' for a medical records system that went into place just
a few years ago, but our then-new CIO insisted that it be on the vendor
site and managed by them, so our people have no direct involvement. We
also sold them a brand new data center, from which we then lease back
a certain amount of space, and in that way have assured they have a
local failover site as part of their fault tolerance strategy.

To the original poster: I apologize if I gave short shrift to
Meditech in my first post.  As an O/S environment it was opaque to
me, and it was vendor supported so I never saw the development
environment or the language.  All my knowledge of it was 2nd hand.

With regard to the standards committee: my organization had a seat
on the Mumps Development Committee, which became an ASTM standards
committee because the VA wanted their environment to run on a
standardized language, and this was eventually elevated to a CCITT
standards committee.  I just rotated through that position, but I
was unusual in that I actually had been a developer, but of an
interpreter for a different language, Mumps precursor JOSS.

More name games: the original name proposed for the language was
Joss-7.

George