[Info-vax] upgrading to VSI VMS---and back

Phillip Helbig undress to reply helbig at asclothestro.multivax.de
Thu Jan 6 16:02:07 EST 2022

In article <sr7ef2$nqf$3 at dont-email.me>, Simon Clubley
<clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP> writes:

> If _Phillip_, who in the before times used to drive around Europe
> picking up old pieces of hardware, has no interest in VAX systems,
> then maybe it really is time to leave them in the past. :-)

I still do.  The hardware is still 10--20 years old, but 25 years newer
than what I was picking up 25 years ago.  :-)

I really liked the small VAXen such as the VAXstation 4000 (especially
the 90A): quiet, easy to work on, not too power-hungry, dependable
(some ran almost continuously for 20 years).  I gave them up because of
missing features which even for me had become essential: a more modern
TCPIP package, faster disks, faster ethernet, more HBVS features, more
RAM, and so on.