[Info-vax] Java, log4j, log4shell, and OpenVMS: CVE-2021-44228

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Thu Jan 6 22:05:24 EST 2022

On 1/6/22 6:02 PM, John Reagan wrote:
> The trouble is that log4j is at such a low level, it is buried in
> packages that are buried in other packages that are buried in even more
> packages.  It might take a while for all of that to be squeezed out.

Purportedly Google's Project Zero put out a report (though I'm having
trouble finding it) wherein they did a massive analysis of Java packages
and found that Log4j was included as a dependency up to eight levels of
nesting.

Steve Gibson talked about it extensively on Security Now 850 from
December 21st 2021.

You can find a histogram in the show notes for SN 850 on file page 12
numbered page 11:

Link - Security Now 850 Show Notes
  - https://www.grc.com/sn/sn-850-notes.pdf

--