[Info-vax] Meditech in the news

Simon Clubley clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
Fri Jan 7 14:50:24 EST 2022

On 2022-01-07, Arne Vajhøj <arne at vajhoej.dk> wrote:
> HPE said: ?The backup script includes a find command to delete log files
> older than 10 days. In addition to functional improvement of the script,
> the variable name passed to the find command for deletion was changed to
> improve visibility and readability.?
> The company added: ?However, there was a lack of consideration in the
> release procedure of this modified script. We were not aware of the side
> effects of this behavior and released the [updated] script, overwriting
> [a bash script] while it was still running,? HPE admitted. ?This
> resulted in the reloading of the modified shell script in the middle of
> the execution, resulting in undefined variables. As a result, the
> original log files in /LARGE0 [backup disc storage] were deleted instead
> of the original process of deleting files saved in the log directory.?

There is absolutely no excuse for that disaster whatsoever.

Bash has a setting that stops execution of a script when an undefined
variable is encountered. I know this because it is at the top of every
single bash script that I write.

Simon.

--
Simon Clubley, clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP