[Info-vax] RMS and SSIO (again)

Greg Tinkler tinklerg at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 20:31:24 EST 2022

On Saturday, 8 January 2022 at 4:38:42 am UTC+11, Vitaly Pustovetov wrote:

> Why do we need to assume? =)

I/we assume because that is the architecture of VMS, if you want to do an IO you use $QIO.  What the internals do is up to the EXEC/KRNL code...  From user mode I 'assume' $QIO.  I also assume given it accesses XFC that is it cluster safe.

NB I missed typed, pread/pwrite are the 2 routines I am thinking about. (https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man2/pread.2.html)

Even with the 'different' interface the still concept stands, we can use pread/pwrite (type calls) on top of XFC to replace all the RMS buffering, and yes we still need RMS record locking...

gt