[Info-vax] RMS and SSIO (again)

Vitaly Pustovetov pustovetov at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 13:27:41 EST 2022

воскресенье, 9 января 2022 г. в 03:07:58 UTC+3, tink... at gmail.com:
> If you look at the parameters they are almost $QIO so why not change it so they are.
For what? We have a new 64-bit system for working with "regular" files. Why access it through $QIO and not through convenient functions?
> NB in this case the correct solution was FIX CRTL to use RMS correctly.
The authors of RMS have invented and made SSIO. Do you think they were wrong and we need to correct the CRTL? I'm not sure if your solution will work and it will probably be slower than SSIO.
> My point is lets use this change to benefit lots of requirements for VMS, not just Postgresql. Part of that would be to code pread/pwrite in CRTL to use this >interface, and have the byte update XFC/SSIO API visible to all code that uses ACP/XPQ.
read/write/pread/pwrite/readv/writev are SSIO ready since 2005. ;)