[Info-vax] RMS and SSIO (again)

Simon Clubley clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
Mon Jan 10 13:52:00 EST 2022

On 2022-01-08, Hein RMS van den Heuvel <heinvandenheuvel at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, January 8, 2022 at 7:07:58 PM UTC-5, tink... at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> One if the things that a lot of users of VMS have liked years is the focus on quality engineering looking at the whole OpenVMS environment, and not a knee jerk response to some particular issue.
>
> Steam IO  a knee-jerk reaction? Ha! It's been looked at, worked on for 20+ years.

There are some people who are just unwilling to accept that just because
that's how something was done 30 years ago, it doesn't mean that's how it
should be done these days in light of general advancements in technology.

>> NB in this case the correct solution was FIX CRTL to use RMS correctly.
>
> Nonsense. The C-RTL folks didn't live/work in a vacuum. They know/knew how to use RMS, they know about the FAB$C_UDF hackery.
> They know (and implemented) how NOT to use (buffered) RMS and switch to SYS$READ/SYS$WRITE  to avoid excessive going in an out of EXEC mode with all the probing for simple actions.

Switching between Executive and User modes is not free, especially when
you are emulating Executive mode. :-)

Simon.

--
Simon Clubley, clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP