[Info-vax] Goodbye VAX

Arne Vajhøj arne at vajhoej.dk
Wed Jan 12 14:40:49 EST 2022

On 1/12/2022 1:49 PM, Dave Froble wrote:
> On 1/12/2022 11:16 AM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:

>>> Thank you, but  am very familiar with diplomatic immunity. But when a
>>> junior
>>> officers wife kills a young child by driving on the wrong side of the
>>> road,
>>> she is a killer - and one without diplomatic immunity - she deserves
>>> the full
>>> force of the law.
>>
>> Diplomatic immunity has to cover all crimes - otherwise it would
>> be difficult to find diplomats willing to go
>> to the worst dictatorships around the world. They would not have
>> any moral trouble creating a fake murder charge.
>>
>> But note that diplomatic immunity does not mean that they
>> automatically go free - it just means that decision about how
>> to handle it goes to their home country not the country where
>> they live as diplomat (or family to diplomat).
>>
>> Their home country can decide to let them be prosecuted. Typical
>> that require confidence in that the crime was real and that the
>> court system will provide a fair trial. It has happened in the
>> past.
>>
>> So it is all up to the US in this case.

>> PS: The "young child" was 19. It does not really change anything, but
>>     I don't think it is appropriate to call a young man at age 19 for
>>     "young child".
>
> It is called "slanting the story", but, in reality, just another bold
> faced lie to advance an agenda.

> When I looked at the info on wikipedia, there were multiple instances
> where the diplomat's country allowed prosecution, or did it internally.

Yes. It happens. The most equivalent example is probably the diplomat
from Georgia (the country south of Russia) that killed a 16 year in
Maryland while driving under the influence. Georgia waived the immunity
and he got 7 years (served 3).

> Perhaps people should not jump to conclusions based upon what they read
> in the news.  The "news" has the agenda of "selling" the news.  Perhaps
> they are not totally unbiased.  This incident really sounds like an
> "accident", which happens all too often.  I've got to ask, are there no
> other similar accidents in Britain?  Or elsewhere?  Why do we only read
> about this one?

Accidents happen all the time.

But some times drivers actions is so negligent that it can become
a criminal case.

Driving in the wrong side of the road and hitting somebody is
rather negligent.

Everybody knows the context - in the UK they are driving in the
other side of the road than in US and continental Europe, so she
was driving US style in the UK.

But what would happen if a UK citizen drove UK style in Pennsylvania
and hit and killed somebody as a consequence?

Arne