[Info-vax] Meditech in the news

kemain.nospam at gmail.com kemain.nospam at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 19:17:41 EST 2022

The traditional best practice backup strategy is often referred to 3-2-1.
This translates to 3 copies of data = 2 local (live + disk backup) + 1
offline with an air gap.

By air gap, this usually refers to an offline copy in a separate facility,
so you have a copy that is not destroyed by a significant facility ending
event.

While storage increases have certainly put a strain on traditional tape
sub-systems and associated backup strategies, it should be noted that tape
technologies like LTO have also been seeing very large increases in speed
and capacity.

Reference:
<https://www.lto.org/>
<https://www.lto.org/lto-9/>
- 18TB per single cartridge, 45TB compressed.

<https://www.quantum.com/en/products/tape-storage/>
Large tape library can support up to 540PB (yes, PB) tape storage

One biggie for tape is that current LTO tape solutions will do a write, then
read-back for every write. Disks just do a write, unless you do a
backup/verify type operation.

In todays "Cloud" (aka outsourcing) world, here is what can happen using the
traditional cloud backup if there is no air gap between your data and your
backups:
<https://www.networkcomputing.com/cloud-infrastructure/code-spaces-lesson-cl
oud-backup>

Regards,