[Info-vax] Meditech in the news

Simon Clubley clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
Fri Jan 14 08:51:04 EST 2022

On 2022-01-13, <kemain.nospam at gmail.com> <kemain.nospam at gmail.com> wrote:

> One biggie for tape is that current LTO tape solutions will do a write, then
> read-back for every write. Disks just do a write, unless you do a
> backup/verify type operation.

That only guarantees that the data, as presented to the tape drive, is
what was actually written to the tape.

It does nothing for a failing controller delivering the wrong data to
the tape drive or for a faulty backup program delivering the wrong data
to the controller.

IMHO, you still need a full verify pass by the backup program.

Simon.

--
Simon Clubley, clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP