[Info-vax] Information about RdbStar?

Simon Clubley clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP
Mon Jan 17 14:01:36 EST 2022

On 2022-01-14, levin <robert.c.hanckel at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was one of the first people in RdbStar which eventually had about a hundred software
> engineers.    So I am keenly aware of its history.   In point of fact I have a tower of DEC
> tape cassettes that have the source code.   It's in my office.   The last physical remnence
> of a project which cost around 130 million dollars.    I think I also have a functional spec
> of the distributed database query compiler.
>
> After years of growing pains integrating two organizations in Nashua N.H., and Colorado
> Springs, we finally got our act together and were about a year from release, but that was when the
> fiscal roof collapsed at Digital, and the project was downsized to an integration engine called DBI.
>
> Ping me if you want more information.

If RdbStar had been released as a product, what would have been its
effect on the database market at the time ? From what I can see, it
looks like it would have had some very high-end and leading features
for the time.

Would it have had any permanent effect on the database world of today ?

It seems DEC was good at getting next generation products to the almost
ready to release stage and then killing them at that stage... :-(

Simon.

--
Simon Clubley, clubley at remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP